Saturday, November 1, 2008

Everyone Needs A Mustache!!!

I have tried to grow mustaches in the past, but was never successful because I always grew impatient.  No, I am not talking about gardening, I said impatient ... no s.  Well, this time I did it.  I finally realized I was at a point in my life where the ones I love can do nothing but beg me to shave, and there is no need to impress any young people with my God givin' good looks.  

I had to be sneaky about it, because there is no way that Ramona would have let it happen if she knew the plan, so I started out growing a beard to conceal "The Stache".  I grew the beard for about a month, periodically trimming everything but the upper lip in an attempt to keep everything looking decent, but at the same time allowing my lip fuzz to prosper.  After about a month of growing the beard, I shaved off everything but "The Stache" and a soul patch (little part below the lower lip, but above the chin).  I laughed as I looked at myself in the mirror, and then laughed some more as I thought of what Ramona's reaction would be.

Ramona is the sweetest person I know, and I just knew exactly how the conversation would go:

Ramona: Baby ...
Me: What? 
Ramona: What's on your face?
Me: What, you don't like it?
Ramona: No, are you keeping it?  I mean, it will probably grow on me.  It's not that bad.
Me: If you don't like it, I'll shave it, I just wanted to see your reaction.
Ramona: No, it's up to you.  I don't care, because I just love you for the person, not what's on your face.

Boy was I wrong.  She was at the grocery store with Karsen when "The Stache" was born.  She came home and I was doing Physics homework, which was great because I had actually forgot that I had "The Stache", but quickly remembered after she came through the door.  THere was no, "Hello," "I love you," "Can you help me with the groceries?"  The first thing that came from her sweet lips was, "Shave that off your face.  Matthew, it looks like you have a caterpillar on your lip.  I don't want to kiss that. Go shave."  Of course I responded with, "Oh come on.  You know it will grow on you," as she was running away from me screaming something like, "don't touch me until its gone!!"  

Well, here we are, 3 or 4 weeks later and guess whose still here?  That's right, Ramona i still here with Karsen, and "The Stache" is still thriving in its natural habitat.  My mother said handlebar mustaches give her the willies, so I can't wait for her reaction.  Ramona enjoys the laughter that I bring to her life, so its not all bad.  Hope you get a laugh as well.  Enjoy ... 


Did someone order a mustache??


You talking to me??  Are YOU talking to me?

Most interesting young lad.  Tell me more.


Now that's just crazy talk.

Head shot for the "Braveheart" remake.

Same, but for "Tombstone" / "Wyatt Earp" / "Lonesome Dove"

Me sporting a pair of Ramona's shades.  
No I don't normally wear them, but yes, I think I could pull it off with "The Stache".

My "Friendly" Face 

3 comments:

Ramona said...

i still love you with the "stache"

Jan Kelley said...

Matthew I love it because I love you. And you are correct, there is no one, other that sweet Ramona, that you have to answer to or try to please. Now is the time. I am proud of the manliness that you posses to be able to grow such a mammoth stache. I hope I dont vomit when I am around the twited ends. I'm feeling nausous already. But really, what difference does that make? I'm just your mother.

Lyndsey said...

Wow. That's impressive. And am impressed at the versatility of the stache as well.