Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm a Man, but ...

There is definitely a nervous anticipation. I was in Hurricane Alicia, but I don't remember a thing. I experienced some high winds in Lubbock (50-70+ mph gusts), but I've never been in 70+mph sustained winds. Compound that nervous energy with the fact that it is 8:13 pm and it is dark outside. We are under a Tornado warning currently. The entire east side of the storm is under a Tornado warning.  

Hearing the wind outside is kinda eerie. The best thing I can compare it to is being alone in the dark walking to your hunting spot, but you forgot your gun. You've got your knife, and you've got your flashlight, but no fire power.

Bissonett has lost power. Channel 13 has a mobile crew driving around. The guy just said an estimated 4,000 are powerless. The first power line pole has fallen, so it will be here shortly. They said as many as 2,000,000 people could be without power in the morning. Man I hope we don't have to use the generator, but who knows.

I took a video earlier, and will attempt to take videos throughout the night, but who knows how they will turn out. I don't anticipate getting too much sleep tonight, so if nothing else, maybe you all will have something to read in the morning. Continue to keep us, and all of those people that are in the path of this storm in your thoughts and prayers.

Edit: 8:59 pm - Centerpoint Energy just said that the count is up to 250,000 without power and they feel like it will be 1,000,000 before all is said and done. 7,000 people are coming in from all over the country to help restore power after the storm, but they feel like it will be 2-3 weeks before they get all of the power restored.

3 comments:

Jan Kelley said...

I honestly wish i were there to experience this with you all. I do love a good storm as long as it doesnt dammage anything i own. I really sort of envy you having this eperience. I am praying for your safety and realization of the poser of our God. Jesus is our Rock in the storm. Blessed be the name of the Lord. mother

vicki said...

It is sounding like the awesome power of God is on display. We will/are praying for you and all the others in Houston. Seriously, thank you for telling us what you are experiencing at home as well as what you are hearing on TV.

How's your supply of beenie weenies and fruit cocktail?

Kelly Vaughn said...

Thanks Matt for letting us know how you are doing. I am finding myself glued to the tv thinking of you guys...this is very exciting!! Keep those updates coming...like the pictures too!!

Kelly