Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let's Get Current ... Well, Almost

Well, here we are.  I was getting pretty tired right before the power went out and the only thing that was keeping me awake was the fact that I wanted to be able to say that I stood outside with Ike.  Luckily, I had my rain gear from hunting and was ale to wear that while I stood outside in the wind and rain to feel the power of the storm.  The winds just kept getting stronger and stronger, but I never really felt in danger.  My only fear was the roof blowing off and the house taking water during the storm.  

I was enjoying the "breezy" weather, but eventually, Ramona had enough of my storm watch, and instructed me that it was time for me to come in.  I think she was afraid I was going to blow away, so I complied with her "request" (I'm not real sure she was giving me an option, but I like to think I had a choice).  I couldn't believe it, but it was actually louder inside than it was outside.  Outside, you just heard the wind blowing in the trees, and howling, but inside it was a constant howl/roar as it blew over the chimney and whistled through the door jam.  I didn't sleep a wink, not because I was afraid or nervous, but because every time I got close to drifting off, another 80-90 mph "gust" came through making way too much noise.

The next day (actually later the same day) at around 7:30 or 8:00 am I told Ramona that I had to go sleep for a little while because I was exhausted.  I've stayed up a lot longer than 24 hours before, but I felt like I had been up for 2 days.  It's amazing how all of that nervous energy just wipes you out.  I slept for a whole 3 hours!!!

Ramona and Karsen were being so quiet while I was napping, and I knew it had to be hard, so I got up thinking I might be able to start cleaning things up.  Wrong!!  Ike was a little bigger than expected and we were still feeling hurricane force gusts in the early afternoon.  It rained all day long, but we did take a trip around town to see what kind of a punch Ike had.  Let's just say, if Ike had seen "the shirt" he would not have been very happy.  After seeing some of the damage, I think someone may have heard a little worse shirts or signs up.

We were without power for 4 solid days.  It didn't bother me as much, and I think I have those lovely days on various deer leases to thank for that.  My dad and I have stayed in some pretty rough deer "camps", ad as a child, I didn't really take naps during the day, so you learn how to deal with the boredom.  Karsen, of course, had no problems with no electricity, but he did get a little grumpy when he was forced to take a nap while "glistening" in the light.  I believe that if you refrain from using the word sweat around people when they are baking in the heat, that their attitude is slightly better.  

It never really got that hot after the cold front came in, but the second night was rough as far as sleep.  I awoke between 5:30 and 6:00 am everyday, which is something that I have not done since, well, ever.  Flash (dog) enjoyed the power outage.  He is an Italian Greyhound and they do not have an ounce of fat on their body.  He was actually able to sleep on top of a blanket instead of buried underneath multiple layers.  He has since returned to his shivering and burrowing.  Ramona is thrilled to have a/c once again, and I am really enjoying walking into a room, hitting a light switch, and actually seeing a change take place in the level of light in the room.

I still have not taken the time to get the pictures from the camera onto the computer, but don't worry, they are coming.

2 comments:

Jan Kelley said...

Great read. Great description of all events. I know the thrillof standing outside in the winds. I did it with Rita/Katrina, but not with winds like Ike had. there is really a thril to be out in the winds and being able to experience the power of a storm, however, i am glad Ramona requested that you come inside. Otherwise, you might have made the next day's front page news when that powerful wind lifted you up toward the heavens and everyone saw your body whipping through the skies above houston with your IKE WHO shirt flapping in the breeze. you are such a joy and i look forward to any pictures you may choose to post or any other words that come to you regarding the events of those horrid days. love to you all jk

Ramona said...

you need to write a new blog. i am getting bored with this one...


looooooove you