Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We Are Back!!!

We finally got power last night around 6:00 pm, but didn't realize it until 9:00 pm.  I know what you might be thinking, and to quiet your fears, no, we were not the family sitting in the dark with all the light switches off, a/c off, and all electrical appliances unplugged.  We were actually out enjoying the cold a/c from the truck while driving around admiring those who had power.  I have so much to write, but I know so many of you are feverishly checking this blog at all hours, so I am taking a little time right now to make a small post.  I was actually trying to post a blog when our power went out for good at 3:35 am on Saturday morning, so I will be including that blog in this post.  I am sorry, kind of, but you will have to wait in anticipation for the next entry which will include many of the emotions and activities that were occurring on Saturday.  It will be good, and it will include pictures.  If I can find the software to add video from our camera it will include that as well.  Thanks you all for your thoughts and prayers during this event, and I hope you enjoy our featured presentation:

Saturday Morning @ approximately 3:30 am:
We still have power, although it has gone off about 4 times since my last post.  The news is now saying the eye may miss Houston as it has taken a Northern turn.  If this is what happens, we should miss the strongest winds.  I stood outside for a good 10-15 minutes earlier just admiring the winds.  We had some pretty good gusts while I was out there, and the trees were starting to bend a bit.  I kept hearing a sound that sounded like brakes on a car as you ease off of them at a stop light waiting for it to turn green.  I also witnessed the howling of the wind as it rushes over the houses and through the trees.  The rain has arrived and the news shows that we have received .25 inches, but other places have already received 2.5+ inches in Houston.  They are estimating 10 hours of rain left for Houston before Ike moves on to greener pastures.  The strongest winds should be here within an hour.  Ramona and Karsen have moved to the living room with me.  I moved a mattress in for us to sleep on.  Storm is moving at 10 mph.  I'll continue to post for as long as I have power.

1 comment:

Jan Kelley said...

Anony, it is so good to hear from you and yours. So glad you all have power and that you had the nerve and the stamina to stick it out and not flee to greener pastures. You are real Houstonians now. Cant wait to get pictures and other info you may choose to share with your "peeps" as vic would say. love you all and so glad you are back. mother